Friday, October 28, 2011

"THUH" or "THEE"?

Isaac and Bekah have the BEST grammar curriculum! First Language Lessons is teaching ME so much! Today in Isaac's 3rd grade level we learned...
The article the is pronounced "thuh" before a word that begins with a
consonant sound. It is pronounced "thee" before a word that begins
with a vowel sound or if you are trying to emphasize a word.
Please tell me I am not "thee" only one who didn't know that? Another reason to homeschool... to get an education =)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't learn this until I was about your age and singing in the ward choir. I don't remember if the choir director actually pointed it out, or if I just had a light bulb moment singing "thee" and "thuh" over and over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Amy, I learned this years ago in our church choir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Warren, it just so happens that
    I asked you about the correct way to pronounce this word because I was confused while singing in a choir and you didn't know!

    ReplyDelete